Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Process: Sound of Music Call backs

Sound of Music call backs were today despite the snow & bad weather. We had a few new people to audition as well. I am still amazed by the number of talented young people we had. Call backs ended up being just the children, as most of the adults just fell into place. It also didn't run over as much as both of our other audition days did - Mostly that was because we had fewer people.

Last night I had trouble falling asleep because I was thinking about the show and casting and all the amazing choices we had. I put together my thoughts on how I thought we should begin the really hard process of making some final decisions. This morning I was glad I had that time ... so I was able to offer my suggestions and things went smoothly and quickly today.

I think today went well - It was wonderful to get to spend more time with the candidates. Some stepped it up and were even more amazing then previously and others had a more difficult time then we expected. I'm sure part of it was being in a room full of people (instead of in a smaller room with just five of us. Friday & Saturday it was just the director, myself, the stage manager, the musical director and an accompanist) Today was in front of all of us, the parents and the other candidates. That can be harder or easier, depending on experience and comfort level. Personally, I like it, because it gives me as an actor an audience, and I love an audience. However, I know it can make things much more scary for others.

It also went a lot more in depth, looking at harmony and if people could hold a part. There's a lot of harmony in this show, so holding parts is essential. We tried many many different combos of children - trying to spend as much time as we could with each and giving them an opportunity to shine. Today was easier in a lot of ways because I felt we were better able to concentrate on each candidate. It still ended with lots of difficult choices and discussion, but I'm pretty confident in the final result. I think we will have an absolutely amazing cast, and I am looking forward to getting to know everyone better, as well as working with such wonderful talent.

Everyone who auditioned will be responded to shortly, if they haven't heard already, and the cast will be announced on the 90 Miles Off Broadway website.

I want everyone that auditioned to know that I want to see them again at the next audition - every one! I wish the Von Trapp family had 20 children, so we could have cast more - unfortunately there is only 7 called for in the script.

No comments:

Community Theater in the Mid Hudson Valley of New York. Information on shows, auditions, and our general adventures onstage, backstage and in the audience.