Monday, October 22, 2007

Seussical, take 2

Since I am not tied to Rocky Horror like Erica is, I had the opportunity to see Golden Stone's production of Seussical last Friday night. I made sure to take along a child to get his perspective on the show as well. The particular child was my friend's six year old son (his parents tagged along too).

I loved the show. I particularly liked the transformations from the 'real' world to the world of Seuss and back again. I loved the little indications of who each character was and what was to come before anyone had been introduced. I loved the way that striking differences were created between characters using color, size, etc. I could go on and on...

I enjoyed the talented cast... Gertrude, Mazie, the Cat, Horton, Jojo, etc... they were all fantastic and well suited to the roles. The sound issue Erica mentioned had been totally resolved by Friday, however there seemed to not be quite enough spotlights for all the lighting needs and it tended to flit back and forth between actors, which was a bit distracting.

As for my friend's son... he loved it. He was totally entertained throughout the whole show (with the minor exception of some of the quieter scenes) and he can't wait to see another play! It may be a while before another such wonderful, kid friendly play comes to the area, though.

No comments:

Community Theater in the Mid Hudson Valley of New York. Information on shows, auditions, and our general adventures onstage, backstage and in the audience.