Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Update on "My Name is Rachel Corrie"

There's been more going on with the Rachel Corrie story:

The NYTW website has a statement defending their position, a statement that in my opinion, that doesn't really answer any of the concerns voiced on the censorship issue.

Seattle's Repertory Theatre will be staging the play next spring.
"Seattle: The 2006-2007 season for Seattle's Repertory Theatre has been
announced. Included in the new season is the controversial London show, My Name
is Rachel Corrie, which at this time will be making its American debut. The solo
show will run at the company's Leo K. Theatre from March 15, 2007 through April
22, 2007."

Blog! also had an interesting perspective on the story; the writer waiting for a copy of the play, believes something is missing from the debate. I for one would be interested in reading the play.

TheNation: has an interesting article entitled "Too Hot for New York"
"The slim book that was suddenly the most controversial work in the West in
early March was not easy to find in the United States. Amazon said it wasn't
available till April. The Strand bookstore didn't have it either. You could
order it on Amazon-UK, but it would be a week getting here. I finally found an
author in Michigan who kindly photocopied the British book and overnighted it to
me; but to be on the safe side, I visited an activist's apartment on Eighth
Avenue on the promise that I could take her much-in-demand copy to the lobby for
half an hour. In the elevator, I flipped it open to a random passage:

"I can't cool boiling waters in Russia. I can't be Picasso. I can't be Jesus. I
can't save the planet single-handedly. I can wash dishes."

The Playgoer had a quote about the story today:
"Those who want to censor Rachel CorrieƂ’s voice today remind me of those who
tried to censor the voices of my generation long ago. Then, as now, they said
morality was complex, not simple, that context was overriding, that if we stood
against racial injustice in Mississippi it would be exploited by Communists in
other lands. That racism and brutality in America, however regrettable, could
never be considered equivalent to racism and brutality in other, more sinister,
places. That there was no moral equivalence between American killing and
Communist killing."

-Tom Hayden, from his "New Port Huron Statement." As he later says, "If my question is disturbing, outrageous and provocative, you will understand the role that idealists must play across the generations."
Previously on this story:
4-6-06 Update on Rachel Corrie - The London production's run extended
4-1-06 Art, Theater and Censorship - Background on the show "My Name is Rachel Corrie"

Technorati tags: Hudson valley theater

No comments:

Community Theater in the Mid Hudson Valley of New York. Information on shows, auditions, and our general adventures onstage, backstage and in the audience.